Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Observations at the Optometrist's Office

In my experience, most optometrists wear glasses. Why is that?

The obvious reason is that they needed glasses growing up, and were fascinated enough with lenses and the physics of light that they decided to make a career out of it.

I also noticed at my appointment today that all the optometrists who've helped me get fitted for lenses were men. Hmm. I sense a market women need to look into.

The optometrist I had an appointment with today was very cool. Not to mention personal (in a good way). Rarely have I met a doctor who has wanted to get lenses for me that really worked for me.

Maybe I'm not being very clear. All optometrists want to get their patients lenses that will help them see 20/20. But the optometrist I spoke with today wanted to get me contact lenses that were completely comfortable and wouldn't bother me. The current ones I've been using (monthly disposables, even though my old optometrist told me they were good for two months) tend to build up a lot of protein on the lenses (which didn't bother me until about six months ago), so I either have to be uncomfortable or use OptiFree SupraClens to clean the protein off. My optometrist today just gave me warm fuzzies on his ability to help me get lenses that will be better suited for me (I think the ones I'm trying are two-week disposables, which are approved to sleep in, but I don't like sleeping in contacts and the doctor obviously wasn't too keen on that idea either).

By the way, my eyes are completely healthy. And if you're in Twin Falls and need an eye exam, check out Mountain West Optical on North College.

No comments: