Friday, September 08, 2006

Stuck in Customer Service Hell

The other day I spent 28 minutes and 40 seconds of my life that I will never get back. This was spent waiting for a PeoplePC customer service representative to talk to me.

When I first moved to Twin, I set myself up for some PeoplePC, thinking it would help me connect to the internet more often than I was. Several phone calls later, not only could I not access the internet, but apparently their Tech Support couldn't help me, either. I was supposed to receive a call from a senior technician, but that never happened. Somewhere along the line I also got 4 months of free internet.

I called PeoplePC the other day to cancel my service, because:
  1. I'll probably have high speed internet access at my new apartment
  2. I definitely didn't want to have to start paying for an ISP that wasn't letting me connect because of "technical difficulties"
Because I kept getting a stupid "all lines are busy" message whenever I tried to select "cancel service" from their automated phone answering system, I decided to talk someone in Tech Support, thinking at least a live person would be better to talk to than a computer.

Tech Support routed me to "Customer Service", where I was bombarded by "Why are you wanting to cancel your service? We can give you more free and/or discounted service!". I chickened out and declined telling the woman what I thought of their Tech Support, and went with the "I'm getting high speed internet" route.

"Well sometimes high speed internet has downtime, would you like to keep our service for blah blah blah backup?"

After being on the phone for 20+ minutes (most of it on hold), I started to lose my composure. "No, I would like you to cancel my service, and if you're unable to do that then I would like to speak with your manager."

After agreeing to cancel my service ("I'm only trying to help you"), the customer service rep asked, "Would you like to retain your PeoplePC Member ID for $3.95 a month?"

Let's say my answer to her question was "no", I'm no longer a member of PeoplePC, and I will most likely never be again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could have done this all online and saved yourself quite a bit of trouble. What irritates me about PeoplePC is their refusal to hire people who speak English as their first language.

Diane Lowe said...

Hmm. In hindsight, that's what I should have done.

The customer service rep I spoke with spoke perfect English, she just had trouble understanding it.