Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Movie Review - The Dark Knight

I just got back from the theater.

Wow.

I'm not quite sure where to begin. There is so much to discuss in this 2 1/2 hour film, even without spoilers.

The only thing I really didn't like about this film was that you never got a chance to process what just happened before the next climax/conflict. So by the time you leave the theater you're left wondering exactly what *did* happen (I definitely sense plot holes). I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing though, since one of the themes is supposed to be about anarchy vs. control and there are times when there is definitely controlled anarchy happening on screen.

On the other hand, one feels if there was just a little more time to catch your breath the film might be improved on. However, I can just see them try to pitch that to Warner Brothers. "We want to make a 3 hour Batman film" is not something that is going to happen. Yet. Maybe in the next film. Because if you haven't figured it out, there will be a next film, but unless they (Bale, Nolan, etc) have another ace up their collective sleeve, it's going to be hard to top this one. This film is definitely the best film I've seen all year. (No, I haven't seen Iron Man yet. I'm waiting for that to come out on DVD)

I really love the exploration into the gritty themes of the Batman universe, and by extension, all superhero stories. Good vs. Evil. Public image vs. Private reality. Sacrifice of self for the greater good. Personal Fantasy vs. Cold Reality. If you want to get political, there's even some stuff on torture and warrantless wiretapping. It's incredibly good stuff to discover in a summer blockbuster.

I recently rewatched Batman Begins to "prep" for this film, and while they have backed the camera out from the fight scenes, it's still hard to see what's going on. Or maybe the IMAX screen was just that big. Also, Bale has improved his "Batman" voice, even though my friend Dan has commented that it sounds "constipated". At least you can definitely tell there is a "Batman" voice rather than a "Bale trying to be Batman" voice.

If you get the opportunity to see this film on IMAX, I definitely recommend it. There are some scenes that really just take your breath away. Some viewing experiences you just can't duplicate without a screen that big.

Bale gets some much-needed screen time as Bruce Wayne in public, and he plays it to great effect. His voice and presence as Batman has improved considerably.

Maggie Gyllenhaal has taken the place of Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, and it's obvious who is the more capable actress, even though I was never really impressed with the role to begin with.

As for Aaron Eckhart, I believe in Harvey Dent. There isn't much CGI that I can tell in the film, but what CGI there is, is used to great effect.

None of the actors seem to completely embody their character as much as the late Heath Ledger. His performance is mesmerizing. I held my breath every moment he was on screen, waiting to see what he would do next. And I found myself laughing more often than not, in spite of myself. It's obvious Ledger made everyone else in the film bring their 'A' game. Hollywood has lost a great performer, long before his time.

I was somewhat disappointed with the score, as it seems like action cues have won out over dramatic, character-themed cues.

I highly recommend seeing this film in the theaters, in IMAX if possible. The great cinematography alone is worth admission.

2 comments:

Time Traveller said...

I really want to see this! I plan to see it on IMAX - I've never been to an IMAX cinema I'm very excited :) I may come back and discuss when I've seen it :)

Diane Lowe said...

Do come back and discuss!

I hope you enjoy the film!