Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dentist Visit

I had an appointment with the dentist today. It's hard to find good health care providers, especially when you're in that point in life that requires a lot of moving around. I hope my life will finally have some stability, at least enough where I can at least see the same dentist, OB-GYN, doctor, etc. for a few years.
One of my friends from work recommended the dentist I went to. It's easier to go when at least one person you know likes the doctor you're seeing. I was thinking about it this morning, and realized I haven't seen a dentist in almost two years. I think part of the reason why I haven't gone in so long is because health insurance providers don't like college students, or at least people between the ages of 18 and 25. Doctors and dentists are irritated when young people don't take more preventative health care measures (although some of them are motivated by greed). It's a complicated catch-22.
The dentist liked my teeth. He said I have "good bone", and that if I took care of my teeth I would have them for 50, 60, 70+ years. I like that idea. The dentist did mention that I have some minor crowding that we can think about fixing with appliances (but nothing elaborate like braces) in a few years, and it would only take about six months to correct. Even though I wore braces for a time, I've never had perfectly straight teeth. Maybe when I have the cash. When the dentist started to examine my teeth, his assistant got really excited and said, "Look! She has a virgin mouth! No bridges or crowns!" I can't imagine someone my age needing that kind of dental work.

Even better news: no cavities!

2 comments:

don said...

If you go twice a year for cleaning you will be in good shape. They can get where you can't get with your tooth brush. It just adds to your beauty. :)

There are many people who can't afford to go to the dentist and had parents who didn't ever take them. We had one guy work for us who had never gone to a dentist his whole life. He was 24 years old and his father was a truck driver. I tried to talk him into going. He no longer works for us and I'm sure he has still never gone.

Diane Lowe said...

:)