Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Top Ten Movies I Want To See This Winter

OK, the last time I did this was a little over a year ago, but I thought I'd make another list. Turns out I ended up watching all except for Chinatown and Chronicles of Narnia. 80% gives me a "B", right? (Since I've started writing movie reviews, I'll try to review these movies as soon as I watch them)

The Good German - Aren't you sick of hearing me babble about this? I'll reiterate: B&W, old-school-style noir. Cate Blanchett (who I've begun to deeply respect as an actress) does German accent.
Letters From Iwo Jima - Companion piece to Flags of Our Fathers. I saw a trailer for this before Curse of the Golden Flower and it took my breath away. The more I watch Clint Eastwood's work, the more I want to see, therefore,
Mystic River - Because if Clint made it, it should be good (and another reason I'm not a fan of Peter Jackson - he snatched best picture and best director from Clint that year at the Oscars).
Pan's Labyrinth - I've heard this is good. Really good. Don't take your kids.
Children of Men - I haven't read the book, but sci-fi dystopian thriller with Clive Owen? Should be interesting, if not excellent.
Seraphim Falls - Because Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson in a western is a fluke that only happens once.
Hannibal Rising - Gong Li's other winter contribution. Gaspard Ulliel as Hannibal has got to be. . . perfectly creepy. He played such a sweet fellow in A Very Long Engagement.
The Hitcher - I don't usually want to see horror flicks, but this could be fun.
Breach - I'm a sucker for espionage movies and government secrets.

and last but not least,

The White Countess
- this has the potential of a great Hollywood romance; exotic setting, a sexy, mysterious woman, and Ralph Finnes.

No comments: