Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Movie Review - Curse of the Golden Flower

Hmm. So I went to this movie at The Grove on Saturday night. While I was waiting for my friends I wandered into the 3-story Abercrombie & Fitch, and not only were they playing the music way, way too loud, they had floor-to-ceiling merchandise there. Anything that had the remote possibility of being in their catalog was in this store. Must be where they outfit the A&F army or something.

Anyway, so I'm still trying to decide if I like or dislike Curse of the Golden Flower, Zhang Yimou's most recent film, starring Gong Li and Chow Yun-Fat.

The plot is basically this: one totally dysfunctional royal family is getting ready for the Golden Crysanthemum Festival. The empress has been having an affair with her stepson (the crown prince) for three years, the crown prince has been sleeping with the Imperial Doctor's beautiful daughter (his half-sister), and the emperor has been secretly poisoning his wife by adding a "special ingredient" to his wife's "anemia medicine" to make her crazy. The empress' eldest son returns from his duties on the western frontier, and is noticing that something is "not quite right" with his mom, and the baby brother in the family obviously has some issues too.

The film is beautiful to watch, although I'm not sure the Imperial Palace has psychedelic rainbow as a color scheme. The music is pretty good too.

The intense battle sequence looks like something out of a Peter Jackson film, and the close combat sequences are either shot so close you can't see what's really happening or so wide you can't appreciate the nuances of movement.

Half the time I felt like I was watching a multi-million dollar soap opera. For example, it takes way too much screen time for the Imperial Doctor's daughter to figure out who she's really sleeping with. Actually, that was the funniest bit in the movie, aside from the banter between the Emperor and Empress.

I was disappointed with the movie, but it was enjoyable to watch. I usually expect more when I go to see a big Chinese production, especially from heavyweights Zhang Yimou and Gong Li.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually liked it. Gong li is amazing and gorgeous.

GrewUpRural said...

I can't stand going into or near A&F stores. You are right about the music being way too loud for shopping.