Sunday, January 28, 2007

Writing in Chinese

The Pen Matters - Doubting to shuo

The other day in class, my Chinese teacher told my class that we would all have to learn how to read Chinese, and not rely on pinyin. I think everyone in class (including me) groaned. Then I thought of it as a quaint challenge (and we all know how I react to challenges).

I think Westerners find languages that use non-Roman letters difficult precisely because the writing looks strange to them. Written Chinese is so complex as to stroke order and proportions that I think Westerners (and especially Americans) are intimidated into not learning the writing system.

Then I think of the "cool factor" of visiting China or Taiwan; if I'm fully able to communicate with the people around me, and to pick up information from, say, maps and/or road signs, then I would enjoy the visit so much more. I wouldn't be frustrated by the language barrier.

Even though I'm quite frustrated over my character workbook, at least I have a purpose for torturing myself with it. Maybe that will make me more motivated to do my homework well, and eventually be happy about having an assignment to work on.

No comments: