Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Back in the Saddle?

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about relationships, and he told me something (which isn't new) that was very profound:

we develop relationships where our significant other treats us the way our subconscious wants us to be treated

Even if this statement isn't entirely true (and regardless of the debate over the subconscious mind), it's at least worthy of some thought.

Immediately after this conversation, I went to a Christmas party where I attracted a fellow who I would not have thought as "my type". That is, until I was telling someone the story and she said, "What are you talking about? He *totally* sounds like your type!" (This led to an internal reevaluation of what "my type" is)

This story could get verbose.

The concise version is that the fellow called me up, invited me over to dinner, I accepted and went, and we had a blast. I had the added benefit of noticing that, not only did has he won the "nicest-guy-Diane-has-ever-been-on-a-date-with" prize, but it sounded like he planned on having future dates with me.

How refreshing and totally unexpected!

So now I'm thinking that, maybe Love doesn't suck. I don't think Love is great, either, so let's say I'm now "hopeful that Love maybe doesn't suck". (That's such a blase way to describe the concept!)

And never fear - I *am* trying the multiple-line strategy, with minor success. I had a first date last week that, on a scale of 1-10, was probably a 3. Definitely no 2nd date for that guy. So while I'm trying to keep all my hopes in different baskets, I'm not having much success with the other baskets.

3 comments:

don said...

Diane, if love sucks then there really isn't much else to bank on, and nothing to write a song about. Love hurts, but it doesn't suck :)

The Wordpecker said...

Hmmm...the way our subconscious wants us to be treated. That's an interesting concept. While I haven't followed Dr. Phil for a while, he has a saying that "we teach people how to treat us." I think the two ideas are related.

My friend says that our lives roll in a continuous circle of harmony/disharmony. Sounds like you are back in harmony!

Diane Lowe said...

Don, I guess saying "love sucks" is a lot easier than dealing with the reality of it! ;)

Wordpecker, hi there! I have such a hard time watching Dr. Phil, but I believe his philosophies have helped people.

I don't know about my life being in harmony though! I don't think I have a morning where I wake up and say to myself, "Self, all of your poop is in one basket today!" But I *am* pleasantly surprised by the recent turn in events and I'm going to run with it!