Saturday, December 29, 2007

Movie Review - I Am Legend

I read the novella of this a couple weeks before seeing the movie. I think the movie, while a departure from the source, was enjoyable enough to watch.

I think in my old age I've become resigned to watching tortured versions of great literature get caricaturized on screen.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I would recommend reading the book (even if you've seen the movie the book is a good read). It's only 170 or so pages, and there are lots of little delightful horror stories at the end. Personally, I'm dissatisfied with both the book's ending and the movie's ending. Maybe that's why I'm not completely incensed. The movie does twist with the 'Legend' theme, and I like the book's version of it much more fascinating.

I've read a lot of reviews that compare I Am Legend to Cast Away. I felt that "I Am Legend" is a better film. I feel that it's easier for me to understand/empathize with a man who talks to his dog as opposed to a man who talks to a volleyball. Also, the threat of being torn apart by rabid, vampiric creatures feels a lot more immediate than starving to death.

I think I'm sounding a bit harsh! I saw "I Am Legend" on an IMAX screen (there's a six minute preview of The Dark Knight just before the show starts) and it's incredible to see things larger-than-life-sized. That is how movies should be shown!

There's a little bit of everything in this film and I definitely recommend seeing it in theaters - especially in IMAX where you can see "The Dark Knight" clip (yes, I really do think those six minutes are worth the extra price - especially on a screen that big).

No comments: