Sunday, May 04, 2008

Movie Review - 27 Dresses

I think I expect way too much from my romantic comedies.

27 Dresses is very formulaic, and despite witty one-liners and a gorgeous leading couple, left me with an unsatisfying ending.

The plot of the film follows Jane Nichols, who is a pretty, caring, warm woman. She remarks that her life's calling is to help women have a perfect "best day of her life". With the help of a newspaper journalist played by James Marsden, she overcomes her character flaw, realizes the guy she's pining after isn't for her, and then ends up with the newspaper journalist.

The film was interesting and believable until the 3rd act, where all the loose ends were tidied up a little too nicely for my taste. I think I would have preferred something closer to how "Under the Tuscan Sun" ended, with the protagonist happy but without her life being exactly the way she wanted.

While my favorite line in the trailer is Katherine Heigl's "hot hate sex" quip, it's out of character. My favorite line in the film is Malin Akerman's "Bridezilla" soliloquy, which I'm sure will be copied (in some form or another) by brides everywhere.

Ladies should rent this for "Girl's Night In", guys will probably not enjoy this film (or not admit it if they do). The love interest plays a helpless romantic in jaded form, and I don't think that would resonate well with most men. Jaded guys just don't send gigantic bouquets of flowers to girls they just met, sorry.

1 comment:

don said...

I liked the way Under the Tuscan Sun sun ended too.