Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Beer-To-Beer Networking

I'm taking a Computer Networking class online. It's one of the pre-reqs I have to take if I want to go to grad school for computer science.

I tried taking this course when I was earning my undergrad but I got intimidated easily and withdrew from the class. I didn't understand the book at all, and even though I respected and like the professor immensely I knew the class would be hard and I didn't know if I had the intellectual 'manna' to make it through the class with sanity intact.

I was really intimidated about taking this course, even though the concepts covered would be really useful at work.

But it turns out that I'm understanding what's going on in class and the professor doesn't seem to be an evil demon. He's actually pretty funny. He speaks with an accent and makes a lot of little jokes based on wordplay and how he knows his voice comes across to an audience.

"There is no 'sweet' in this class. Only 'suite'."

"I said 'peer-to-peer'. There is no 'beer-to-beer' networking in this class."

Not that I was ever good at beer-to-beer networking, but I know several people who could get an 'A' in a course focused on that!

No comments: