Friday, May 16, 2008

Taste the Smug

I saw a Lexus SUV on the road today on my commute to work. Not just any Lexus SUV, this was a hybrid. And the owner wasn't subtle about it. There were two tacky bumper stickers on the cargo door: "Yes, it's a hybrid!" and something similar on the other bumper sticker. Something along the lines of being better than everyone because their car was a hybrid.

You could taste the smug. Seriously. (Full episode here) (By the way, if you're not familiar with South Park, you should be warned these links could be quite offensive)

I'm generally in favor of hybrid cars and alternative fuel technology, but I really have several problems with this.

Firstly, just because I don't drive a hybrid doesn't mean I don't care about the environment or about what my mpg is. I bought the most fuel economic car in my budget, even though it runs completely on gas. There was no way I could afford a hybrid.

Secondly, driving a luxury hybrid with those particular bumper stickers sends the message that, because the driver can afford (or pretend to afford) a car *that* expensive makes them better than everyone who cannot afford such an extravagance.

Thirdly, the above is just rude. It just sends the wrong message, one the driver probably did not intend. Instead of saying, "I drive a hybrid and I think the rest of the world should jump on the bandwagon", it says, "I'm so conceited and insecure that, not only do I have to drive a luxury vehicle to feel better than everyone else, I have to rub it in everyone's face by defacing my new hybrid's styling by putting up these tacky bumper stickers."

No comments: