Saturday, May 03, 2008

Movie Review - Atonement

I've read reviews of Atonement (both the film and the book), and did a lot of other research before sitting down to watch the film.

When this was in theaters I was so excited to go see it, since it was touted "the best love story since The English Patient". After I read reviews and realized that no, this really isn't about a love story, I was disappointed and didn't go to the theater to watch the film, even though I love beautifully shot films (which this is definitely an example of).

What finally encouraged me to rent the movie was when a friend watched it and said that it was good enough to have a discussion about. So I did that.

Hmm. Atonement is two stories intertwined into one, and while the "main story" deals with possible redemption and atonement through writing, the protagonist is unlikeable and flawed. It's difficult to sympathize with her and in the end you really just don't care. The "side story" is the love story, and while both characters aren't perfect, they are more likable and it's very easy to relate to the lovers torn apart.

What is somewhat troubling is that, through the protagonist's actions, the real "villain" gets away with his actions and the film (I suspect the book as well) doesn't handle that very well. What are the consequences of just allowing someone guilty of truly evil deeds to go about their merry way?

The first act of the film is worth watching most, and most of the memorable shots are in the first act. Everyone talks about Keira Knightley's green dress, but I was much more impressed with the pretty halter-style sundress she wears when she greets her brother for the first time.

The long, almost 5 minute shot in Dunkirk is fantastic, and illustrates Joe Wright's use of long takes splendidly.

I would say this is worth renting, but don't expect to walk away feeling like you've learned something.

No comments: