Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Cross-Cultural Implications of This Just Slay Me

I've been spending quite a bit of time at Doubting To Shuo, and found an ancient blogpost about his discovery of a Chinese version of Madonna's "Material Girl", or 拜金女郎 for those who get the Chinese characters. (I'm don't think it's actually Madonna singing . . . anyone want to clarify that for me?)

While I love listening to Chinese, both spoken and sung, this sort of cross-cultural ("Asianification", if you will) translation of popular Western songs really bothers me. It's like the little kid on Engrish with the teddy bear t-shirt that says "Fuck off!". Even with the literal translation of Madonna's lyrics into Chinese, I wonder if they get the meaning of the song.

But I digress. The song is catchy, in either language.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I'm flattered you've been reading my blog! It's not Madonna singing.