Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wedding Pressures

Today, I ran into an old aquaintance online, a fellow I knew in high school who got himself married earlier this month. I guess they went to the Caribbean on a cruise for their honeymoon, which he found quite enjoyable and recommended that I also go on a cruise when I get married. I thanked him for the recommendation but said politely that I wasn't planning a wedding anytime soon. He then asked me, "Do you plan to marry?" I ended up telling him I did want to get married one day but it wasn't on my list of priorities today.

Of course, I would like to marry and have a couple kids (limited to a couple) some day. Just the other day I was drooling over a combination sewing/embroidery machine that had the cutest designs I thought would be perfect for the edge of a little girl's dress. But I'm 23 years old and still feel way too young to be getting married. OK, maybe not married, but definitely too young to be a mom. Why the rush to get hitched? Depending on who you talk to, 40-50% of marriages end in divorce. Some factors that decrease the chances of getting divorced include:
  • Annual income over $50,000
  • Having a baby 7 months or more after marriage
  • Marrying over 25 years of age
  • College Education
  • Having a religious affiliation
Hello?!? Granted, I'm college educated, with a religious affiliation, and no kids. My yearly income is a net total of broke, and I'm under 25. Of course, there are marriages that don't end in divorce where both partners are high school educated, make less than 50K, etc. But I only want to do this thing once. Shouldn't I give myself the best chance for that? Don't I owe myself that?

Some Interesting Links
Ten Things For Young People To Know About Marriage

Top Ten Myths Of Divorce
Top Ten Myths Of Marriage

No comments: