Monday, May 29, 2006

The Wine Again

I realize I'm far from being a wine connoisseur, but I really like having a glass of wine with dinner or just chatting with friends. Beer is OK, the "bitch beers" are OK, and while I prefer mixed drinks to beer, they're not the same as a good glass of wine.

I realize the adjective "good" is relative to what each individual (or group of wine geeks) define as "good".

Tell me I have terrible taste in wine, and it really wouldn't bother me. Especially since I'm more fond of blush wines (particuarly white syrah) than not.

I bought a bottle of Red Bicyclette's syrah (red, not blush) today. I've noticed I've been picking out bottles that have witty, cartoony, or in want of a better term, contemporary labels lately. (So is that label called "Bicyclette Rouge" in France?)

I've picked out bottles of wine that I really shouldn't have (as I thought they were too "heavy" or "dark" for me, or had a lovely smell but were too strong for me to drink), and I've picked out bottles of wine when I should have picked up two or three. I haven't quite gotten it down to where I can pick out a bottle and say, "Yes, this is wine I would like." But then again, is anyone (even the wine geeks) to that point?

No comments: