Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I'm Back! And Wanting to Go Elsewhere

I returned to Idaho yesterday afternoon after taking a "shortcut" - through Arco and down through Craters of the Moon National Monument. Going this was supposed to have saved me an hour. Unfortunately there was some killer road construction going on at Craters of the Moon, so I lost the hour I was supposed to have saved. On the upside, it was a more interesting trip than just taking the interstate.
Another side effect of being stuck in road construction is I had the opportunity to intensely study my map. Ketchum, Idaho is only short drive (short meaning I can take a day trip there) away. One of my favorite American authors, Ernest Hemingway, lived, died, and was buried in Ketchum. This spawns the idea that I should take the opportunity to go up there and pay homage to the man that spawned "The Sun Also Rises", "A Farewell to Arms", "The Old Man and the Sea", and other literary greats. There's an annual Hemingway Festival, which started last year, that I might go to if I'm still around in September.
Besides Ketchum, there's the Shoshone Ice Caves and other geological wonders to go see that are also just a "day trip" away.

I think I do have the wanderlust.

No comments: