Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Missionaries in the Library

Sometimes when I check my e-mail in the library in the afternoon, there are a couple mormon missionaries doing the same thing.
When the computer I'm "assigned" to happens to be next to a computer a missionary is on, I'm overly tempted to log onto www.exmormon.org and see if he notices and/or says something about it. Maybe I'm overly touchy, but really, what other church pushes 19-year-olds on the general population and expects people to believe these boys? I'm much more willing to believe a college-educated minister or priest than I am someone who hasn't even completed a bachelor's degree. Maybe I'm being a little elitist regarding education, but still, I'd like to think that someone with more life experience is more trustworthy than someone barely out of high school.
I'm not offended by these guys who've decided to give up two years of their lives and who knows how much money to preach their church's party line. I feel sorry for them. One of my high school buddies broke off a relationship with a missionary who had a change of heart and left his mission early. Maybe "broke off" is an incorrect term; "became disinterested" is more accurate. Not that she's necessarily a molly mormon (she's 23 and unmarried, and content to stay that way for now), but she felt that if you start a mission, you should complete it even if you disagree with the dogma you're supposed to push. I asked her if she could stay in a foreign country and teach people things she disagreed with, and after she thought about it she said that she couldn't.
These guys should be in college enjoying their youth. If God calls you to go to foreign lands and convert souls, that can come later.

1 comment:

Dan Loeschke said...

I, on the other hand, would not hesitate to tell the Nanatook tribe of central wherever that if they didn't build unto me a golden spaceship, God would destroy them. Now get crackin', I hear God's getting His famines and earthquakes ready!