Friday, June 16, 2006

Missing Butte and Buying Suits

As I drove into Butte, my predominating feeling was that of comfort. I must admit, I thought I would miss Butte, and I haven't.
But I do feel comfortable in Butte. It was my home for five years, I know all (maybe not all, most of) the shortcuts, the best places to buy groceries, etc.
Learning a new town (Twin Falls, ID) isn't necessarily a bad thing; I enjoy the adventure. But sometimes I would just like to know the best place to buy contact lens fluid, or how to get from Barnes and Noble to my uncle's house in the least amount of time. It would be nice to know which grocery store in town has the best (cost for quality) produce, and what I can expect from the mall. (While it has a Macy's and a Victoria's Secret, I'm not quite as satisfied as I thought I would be)

Maybe I just have high expectations. When I walk into a Macy's, I expect to at least find one high quality suit made of linen or lightweight wool (depending on the season), a decent Ralph Lauren section, and a good shoe selection (meaning an adaquate blend of classic shoes and some funky fun ones). Butte has no Macy's, so I don't have the expectations of Butte that I would of a town that does. Most of the Macy's stores I've been to have several nice women's suits and a good Lauren Ralph Lauren section (where the nice suits are usually located). When I was suit-shopping in Twin, I couldn't find one suit that I cared for. Why is it so hard to find a cream or tan linen suit?!? I had to go to Boise to find a linen suit, and spent at least a half hour looking for a suit that wouldn't date itself in a month. (pale green and pink plaid does not fit my definition of "classic") Even in Boise it was difficult finding something that wouldn't fall apart in a year or so.

Why are women's clothes so poorly constructed, and why is it so difficult to find something as basic as a white button-down shirt, or a suit with plain lines? A lot of women tell me to shop at Maurices, but 90% of the clothes I buy there fall apart in a year or less. I don't think I'm hard on clothes, but when a button falls off the first time I wear a garment, or a seam unravels on a garment that fits, I start to wonder.
I used to shop at the Gap a lot, but I've noticed the quality on their clothes is slipping too. I've never bought a shirt, jacket, etc. from them that didn't need to have buttons resewn.
I've been impressed with Ralph Lauren brand clothes, but I can afford them only when they're on sale. Tommy Hilfiger is all right, somewhere between Ralph Lauren and the Gap.
I'm not trying to endorse any one brand, but these are just some of my observances on clothing labels.
If you can find a label with well constructed, affordable clothes made from good materials (ie, not rayon or polyester), please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try Weekenders. They have a complete line of classic casual clothes and knit suits. Their clothes really last and, best of all, they guarantee that if you buy something in a particular color, it'll be the same as everything else they sell in that color, even from past years! Weekenders is a franchise--you may have a local distributor who will visit your home if desired.