Monday, June 12, 2006

Religious "Blessings"

My uncle was in the E.R. last night; he had his gallbladder removed this morning. Anyway, when my cousin Tom and myself got him home last night (my uncle absolutely refused to stay in the hospital overnight) a mormon bishop and stake president were there with my cousin Andy's wife. The bishop and the stake president wanted (or were called in) to give my uncle a blessing. (If you're Catholic, it's kind of like the mormon version of Anointing of the Sick/Extreme Unction)
I, obviously, would have been more comfortable with a priest, but then again, I'm Catholic, not LDS. These two dudes wearing slacks, white dress shirts (several others have noticed that's the only color shirt they wear "officially"; makes for a boring wardrobe, don't you think?), and ties seemed superficially friendly to me and semi-genuinely concerned for my uncle. OK, I take that back. The bishop seemed to actually know my uncle so he was genuinely concerned. These guys got some oil out (what markings do they make with the oil if they don't make the sign of the cross?), put their hands on my uncle's head and prayed a short prayer over him.
I don't want to be rude, or sound unappreciative, but the prayer was something slightly more elaborate than "Lord, help this man have a good night's sleep and watch over him in his operation tomorrow." It didn't comfort me at all, and I'm not exactly sure it comforted the other family members in the room. As for my uncle, he didn't tell me if the blessing comforted him or not. I walked away from the experience thoroughly unsatisfied.
Don't get me wrong; I totally believe in the power of prayer and in the strange "coincidences" God orchestrates. It just would have been nice to feel more than the normal "presence of prayer" at the "blessing" than I did. I don't know about you, but when I'm at Mass, I know something happens to the host and the wine. I intuitively feel a presence when I'm praying. I know I'm sounding like a fundamentalist, hallucinatory freak, but I used to be an agnostic - almost atheist at one point in time. Even after I converted to Catholicism, I spent a time where I was purposely trying to refute/deny the power of prayer, or the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. You know what? I couldn't. Catholicism makes too much sense, and it's backed up by whatever intuitive, mystical feelings I have about it. Whatever it is, Catholicism "works" for me.
I don't think God has picked out a "right" religion. All I know is what I feel, and what I've studied theologically. Several Buddhist monks I've met radiate the same sense of peace that my favorite priests do. I've never met a mormon elder who's given me more than the creeps.
Maybe I would have felt better if the mormon elders were more eloquent, or if I felt God's presence in a stronger way.
Again, I don't want to be rude, and I don't think God has a favored religion, but there is a serious lack of potency in mormon blessings.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Gosh. Yes. This does happen with some Mormon blessings. Some are better than others.

But you raise an interesting point. If a church has no set prayers or rituals (putting to one side the weird scary stuff in the temple) then anyone who is not good at speaking will not be able to come up with the goods when required.