Monday, September 10, 2007

Anniversary

A year ago today, I moved to L.A.

I feel like it was only a few days ago, yet I feel that some part of me has grown, developed, changed in my malleable way. The other day my neighbor commented that he's really enjoyed watching my transition from small town college girl to big city working girl.

Change doesn't happen overnight. Time is a constant - it doesn't move faster or slower - only our perception changes.

When I was in school, it felt like time dragged by so slowly. I viewed things in semester blocks. Now I view time in pay period blocks, interspersed in between elusive "productive weekends".

I tried foods like jerk chicken, hummus, tabbouleh, saganaki, avgolemono, thai iced tea, chicken yellow curry, miso soup, and sushi. I once had chicken feet and tripe at dim sum. I've been tango dancing in Hollywood and clubbing in Hermosa. I saw a live show at the Greek Theater.

I don't feel any different. I'm the same person.

Yet less of who I was and more of who I should be.

3 comments:

Sideon said...

Something so nice about discovering the journey has been a series of circles that bring us back to ourselves, again and again, each time more and more enriched.

Loved this post.

don said...

I feel like it was only a few days ago too.

I have a theory about our perception of time as we get older.

When we are 5 years old a year takes forever. That's because it is one fifth of our whole perception of our existance.

When we are 25, a year is a much smaller fraction of our existance. That's why the years start to "fly" by faster and faster as we get older.

Enjoy each moment Diane. Live in the moment.

Diane Lowe said...

Don - that's a good theory; I've had a similar idea. I do try to live "in the moment" and enjoy life. It's easy to get caught up in the rudimentary, mundane actions of everyday existence.

Sideon - I'm glad you like this post! When we don't take the time to look back, I think we forget where we come from and we don't see the giant arcs in our lives. If people were a little more conscious about how they fit into the universe maybe we would be a better race.

My friend Theresa posted something similar on her blog (it's on mySpace) regarding where she was a year ago and how some things in her life have changed and put her on a different projection.

I'm starting to think that, while a lot of how our lives turn out is dependent on what decisions we make (go to school, drop out of school, go to work, pay bills, etc), a lot of how our lives turn out is based on luck and how we react to life-determining events.

My life would be a lot different right now if I had completed OCS, or if I hadn't gotten my job here in L.A..

Right now I'm very grateful that things have turned out the way they have.