Tuesday, September 11, 2007

So Here We Go

This thing has already been beaten to death. Why I feel compelled to comment on it, I don't know. Maybe it's because I think entertainers' job is to look good and entertain us, and that points should be given for effort. I know that's not how the world works.

Also, it's really a great thing to see someone overcome adversity. We cheer along because we hope that if we sink to our lowest lows that we can one day rise again.

So anyway, here we go. Onto the Britney Spears Video Music Awards thing.

I honestly don't think it was that bad of a performance. I don't think it was good, but I don't think it was the ship-sinking wreck that people (especially the media) are making it out to be.

I think she should have gone with a different costume, but that wasn't my call (obviously).

She may or may not have had a drink or two before hitting the stage. I don't know how this would affect her performance anxiety. When I have a drink I usually want to get up and dance!

I'm a supporter of the theory there was something funky going on with her right boot (although I do think it's possible to dance in heels effectively). She seems (to me) fairly confidant when the song starts (she opens with a cover of Elvis' "Trouble") and then right after she starts the song she heavily favors her right leg. If you watch her closely enough you can tell she doesn't put her weight fully on that leg unless she's walking (in which case she can walk on the ball of her foot and 'fake' it) or if she's interacting with another dancer and can count on him/her for support if the heel fails.

I am obviously not a professional dancer, but I have done my fair share of performance dancing. I've always learned dances in chunks, and if you flub a move it's hard to get back to where you were in the dance. I theorize that the funky boot threw her off enough so that she had trouble remembering the next move, so waited until it was time to move to the next chunk of the dance.

For the record, the two times backup dancers help her onto and off of the riser on the stage, I definitely think those were choregraphed dance moves, and not just a backup dancer thinking that was the helpful thing to do at the moment.

I know that doesn't explain why she didn't take off the boots when the problem started - it's possible she didn't think she could work it in to the routine.

Here is a video of the evidence someone compiled. Even if the photos are altered, there's a tiny clip in the video (at 2:27) that I think would be difficult to alter on short notice (and look accurate).
Here is a video of her performance.
Here is a video clip of her rehearsal, which I think shows she feels confidant with some of the dance moves.

1 comment:

don said...

I have to admire her courage.