Friday, September 28, 2007

James Blunt & All The Lost Souls

On a whim I bought James Blunt's new CD, All The Lost Souls, at a Starbucks yesterday. I'm always hesitant to buy new music from someone I don't absolutely love, because what if the music sucks?

Good thing I enjoyed the CD. Blunt is kind of tricky, because his famous stuff is so spirit-dampening. As a collection, the songs on his sophomore release work well together and the overall tone is bittersweet yet hopeful. Right now that's about where I am emotionally and it feels pretty good.

There's something almost delicate about Blunt's lyrics and his voice. I'm not sure if it's "nice", but it feels raw and expressive to me. I like that.

Tracks include:

1973 - this is the first single from his album, and it's getting a lot of airplay. There's something very "Summer of '69" about this song that I like.
One of the Brightest Stars
I'll Take Everything
Same Mistake
Carry You Home - This is really the perfect example of the depressing/hopeful tonal juxtaposition. There's a tenderness in his voice here that I really like.
Give Me Some Love - This is, in my opinion, the epitome of Blunt's 1970's homage to music, drugs, and free love. It's a fun sounding song, although the lyrics are quite troubling.
I Really Want You - His voice is especially delicate here.
Shine On
Annie
I Can't Hear The Music

No comments: