Monday, September 08, 2008

Movie Review: Hellboy II: The Golden Army

The more I see Guillermo del Toro's work, the more I really, really, like it. He has a very distinctive visual style that makes him reminiscent to Tim Burton, whose work I also admire. The film is steeped in pseudo-mythology as only Guillermo del Toro can inspire. I'm very excited to see how the Hobbit films turn out, and I believe del Toro can envision an even more incredible Middle Earth than Peter Jackson.

As in the first, my favorite character on the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense team is Abe Sapien, the cerebral merman. There's a very tender, beautiful romance between him and the elven princess in the film.

One of the things I love about del Toro's recent work is that he understands character archetypes very well and he doesn't fiddle with them to make them "more realistic", yet the stories he tells with these character archetypes are never boring. There's a princess character who is the epitome of what a princess is supposed to be whose destiny is tied to her brother who is the epitome of the brash, ambitious prince. Really rich, great stuff for a comic book film.

I also really like the steampunk elements in Hellboy II. Visually, the film is just spectacular.

I have to admit that I was a bit bored with the first film, but that the second film is definitely worth seeing.

No comments: