Friday, September 12, 2008

The Movie To See This Weekend


I've been looking forward to this film for a few weeks now. Judging from the trailer alone, it looks like it's going to be a hilarious satire.

I enjoy black comedy, probably for the fact it lies just outside polite society norms. The Coen brothers have served up fantastic examples in the past (Fargo, The Big Lebowski). I suspect Burn After Reading is going to be wickedly funny to those who have some personal knowledge of Washington D.C. much like The Big Lebowski is relevant to the L.A. experience.

I've been reading some reviews, and it seems a big complaint is that the characters are all caricatures. Well, yeah. I think that's the point. Satire is supposed to be a reflection of society taken to the extreme, poking fun at the realities that hurt most. "Real" people don't fit in a world viewed through the warped lens of irony, wit, and satire. I don't think they're supposed to.

I'll report back after I've seen the film and, uh, when things make sense. ;)

No comments: