Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pain in the Butt

My leg started bothering me a couple weeks ago so I took a week off from running. Now I'm seriously behind in my training regimen and I think I'm going to have to walk the Long Beach Half Marathon.

I was putting some serious thought into it this morning and after some googling online I think I found what ails me: Piriformis Syndrome. The back of my leg doesn't bother me, it's the outside of the lower leg where the calf muscle "ends". Basically, it feels tight and when I start to run it starts to feel really tight and stiff. I get foot drop and then have to walk.

But last night I noticed that there's a spot on my butt on that side that's sore. Hopefully if I do a lot of stretching and sitting on a tennis ball I'll be able to run at least part of the Half Marathon.

I've decided to forget about trying to fight traffic to park for the event, and will be taking the Metro. I'll save money, hassle, and probably time as well.

2 comments:

don said...

Good luck with that. Don't over do it.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don!

It's been feeling better (or at least, less sore/tender) this week. Sometimes my leg still feels funny, but I'm definitely walking that half marathon!