Wednesday, September 10, 2008

This Made My Jaw Drop

Sarah Palin and the victims-pay-for-rape-kits story

What?! I'm shocked and angered by this. If a rape victim has insurance that will cover the cost of a rape kit, then OK. If she has the financial means to pay for the kit herself, that's OK too. But if a women has no way to pay for the kit, that's just too bad? Wow. That really just blows my mind.

If a woman can't pay for a rape kit, having the community foot the bill for her just seems like the right thing to do in terms of justice and being a "good community".

According to the Salon article, Wasilla police chief Charlie Fannon said the rape kits would cost the city's police department between $5,000 and $14,000 a year. For a city the size of Wasilla (7,000? 10,000?), and depending on the cost of the kit and forensic medical exam (between $300 and $1,200, according to Salon, and $800 according to this Officer.com article), it sounds like Wasilla has bigger problems than funding a hockey rink and its legal woes.

Even more interesting, the Violence Against Women Act was pushed through by none other than Joe Biden.

The Strange Slience on Biden's Signature Accomplishment


While I personally like Obama more than McCain, I was willing to set that aside and consider McCain for president. I've definitely been on the fence when the vice presidential candidates were announced. But this really pushes me into Obama's camp.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, it's appalling. Quiet honestly, I see no reason why a rape victim should have to pay for the kit, whether she can or cannot afford it. The taxes she pays towards the city, state, and federal governments should foot the bill well enough.

don said...

McCain's Choice of Palin was clearly pandering for votes.

In my view, Biden is vastly more qualified to become president than Palin should the need arise for one of them to step in.

Biden has been to the mid east many times and Palin from what I understand has only been to Ireland.

don said...

I stand corrected, Palin has been to the middle east and then Germany.

Anonymous said...

She's frightening in a Damien, Omen I through III kind of way.

Diane Lowe said...

Sideon - Thanks for stopping by!

I only saw Omen I. . . .but yeah. I can see the parallels. . . .