Monday, September 08, 2008

Movie Review: Mamma Mia!

I saw this film a few weeks ago but I feel I should review it anyway.

While I'm not surprised at the staying power of this film in theaters, I also felt it relies heavily on star power and the nostalgia of the musical, with very little merit on its own. There were several scenes that were very painful to watch.

Meryl Streep steals every single scene she's in, and it's obvious she had a blast making the film. On the other hand, Pierce Brosnan looks uncomfortable in every scene he's in, and I feel he was most certainly miscast.

Visually, filming in Greece was a fantastic idea. There is something about films set in the Mediterranean that requires them to be filmed on-location. There's no other way to replicate the sun, sand and water.

The big dance numbers are great. The cast dressing up in full 70's disco attire is not.

1 comment:

Time Traveller said...

I went to see this a few weeks ago. I laughed so much my cheeks were hurting. The casting of Pierce Brosnan was pure genious. :)