Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Recipe - Artichoke Spinach Dip

This is one of the few recipes I'll use the microwave to actually cook something. It's heavy on the artichokes.
  • 1 1/2 - 2 c. artichoke hearts, chopped (I use canned, but you can use frozen if you can find them)
  • 1/2 c. baby spinach, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese - I use the bagged stuff, but I'd like to try it with 1/4 c. grated real Parmesan
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder - you can use one minced garlic clove here, but I prefer the texture using garlic powder
Put the artichoke hearts, salt and a few TB of water into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until almost tender (less than 5 minutes), stopping to stir at 1 min. intervals. I tend to not chop my artichoke hearts beforehand, so I take this opportunity to use the stirring utensil to "chop" the artichoke hearts now.
Stir in the baby spinach and microwave for 30 seconds. Drain.
Stir in the cheeses and microwave until thoroughly blended, stopping to stir at 30-second intervals.
Stir in the garlic powder and serve hot with crusty bread, pita or crackers.

If you're making this for guests and not just for something tasty to devour, you can put the dip in a pretty broiler-safe dish, top with tomato slices or breadcrumbs, and either put under the broiler for 5 minutes or bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes before serving.

No comments: