Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Recipe - Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

These are almost like the biscuits you get at Red Lobster. I'm not sure why I'm such a big fan of "copycat" recipes. Maybe because it takes some of the mystery out of going to the restaurant and because I know what I put in my version. If I want to feed myself bad things I should at least have the right to know exactly what gave me the heart attack.

Feel free to add more garlic powder and/or cheddar cheese. I think the dough can handle up to a cup of cheese, so if you like your biscuits cheesy (and who doesn't?), add away!

Ingredients
  • 2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 4-5 TB cold butter
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • parsley flakes
(alternatively use 2 1/2 c. biscuit mix in place of the first three ingredients)

Preheat your oven to 450°. Grease a baking sheet.
Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and garlic powder (or the biscuit mix and garlic powder).
With a pastry blender or fork, cut in 4-5 TB of cold butter until it's thoroughly blended and looks like loose sand.
Mix in 1 c. milk and 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese until just combined. Don't overblend!
"Drop" biscuit-sized portions of the dough onto a baking sheet - I use two tablespoons as it's quite a sticky dough and it doesn't "drop" well. Sprinkle parsley flakes on top of the biscuits and bake for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown.
Consume immediately.

Adapted from Mark Bittman's "Emergency Drop Biscuit" recipe from How To Cook Everything, and Todd Wilbur's Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit recipe from Top Secret Restaurant Recipes.

No comments: