Monday, October 01, 2007

Movie Review - The Kingdom

I watched The Kingdom the other night, which I enjoyed.

I watched the movie at The Bridge Cinema de lux at Howard Hughes Center. There happens to be a bar at the theater, and they play really great music to dance to. I recommend they move the tables around to make room for a dance floor instead of crowding it with tables and uncomfortable-looking chairs.

Anyway, back to the movie. It's basically a political commentary in action form. The premise is fairly ridiculous - an FBI team goes to Saudi Arabia to help the Saudis investigate a terrorist attack (against Americans) in Riyadh.

The film doesn't paint all Saudis as bad people, or all Americans as good people, which is refreshing. The movie's punchline at the end was predictible and heavy-handed; I think the same message could have been done differently with better effect.

Chris Cooper steals every scene he's in. Jennifer Garner gets the award for female-empowerment-fight-scene and the token "give a kid some candy" scene.

All in all, I enjoyed the film and recommend it. It's a non-retarded action film that's worth the admission price.

2 comments:

don said...

They call that movie "The Kingdom" And Yet it's about our FBI going to investigate a terrorist attack on americans? That theme seems a little small for that title. It sounds like something more suited for prime time TV.

Gone are the days of movies like Gandhi I guess.

Diane Lowe said...

Well, there's a strong supporting Saudi character, and some other Saudis running around being various shades of grey.

There's also a short history lesson on Saudi Arabia at the beginning of the movie. Don't quiz me, because I was most distracted at the time.