Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bento Lunch - Cross Cultural Minglement

Top container - Cajun blackened chicken from my Blackened Chicken with Fettuccine Alfredo recipe.
Second container - Steamed broccoli florets
Rice container - Fettuccine Alfredo
Soup container - Coconut Sticky Rice

I've been craving this for a while. I made a less fancy, bastardized version of my blackened chicken and fettuccine alfredo (from memory, and I omitted the tomato).

The Coconut Sticky Rice is a Thai dessert, typically served with mango, that I really like. It's like a heavy coconut-flavored rice pudding. To make it, you cook up some short-grain (also known as "sweet" or "glutenous") rice and cook it according to this recipe. Don't add the vinegar, sugar and stuff to it. After it's done cooking you add a sauce made from coconut milk and sugar and let it stand until the sauce is absorbed.

If you're not serving this with mango you can sprinkle a little cinnamon or cardamom on top. It's really good. I could get fat on this stuff.

I just realized my lunch is insanely carb-heavy. Better push myself extra hard tonight on the treadmill.

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I had blackened chicken in Florida years ago and have watched menus for it ever since. I haven't had much luck. Do you make your own seasoning or do you buy it?

Diane Lowe said...

I make my own seasoning - there's a recipe for the spice blend in the link but I don't really follow it too well anymore.

I usually just put garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne in mine (in disproportional quantities). Sometimes a little oregano. The cayenne is what makes it really spicy so if you want it blackened but not spicy don't add as much.