Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Coincidence

I'm in a big enough town, the likelihood of us ever running into each other are incredibly slim. We run in different circles, hang out with different people, and probably shop at different stores. The Fates have woven our lives apart.

And yet, this morning, it happened. The right circumstances came together and I saw him in his car this morning.

He works not far from me (his office is less than a half-mile away from my office, and both complexes share a common road), and even after he moved out we still both use the same route to get to work.

He's not so much an early bird, and I've been waking up late recently.

There's an intersection on the commute right before I get to work, where I turn left and he goes straight. I was in the turn lane and when the light turned green I pulled forward. The car at the front of the line was a blue Ford Focus.

"Hey, " I thought. "My ex-boyfriend drives a blue Ford Focus."

Then I saw the "Follow me to Dodger Stadium" license plate frame and I knew it was him. I didn't even need to glance at the driver, although I did and even though I didn't get a clear view I knew.

By then I was going too fast into the turn and I was gone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The more I think about him the more angry I get. I wish I could have seen through him before he dumped me, so that I could dump him first. I'm mad at myself that, because of him, I second-guess every interaction with every romantic prospect since.

I'm more hurt over the idea that all the young eligible bachelors I meet don't want girlfriends than I am some fucktard messed me up and dumped me. Maybe I need to be older or more single. One of my friends tells me I need to accept shades of gray in relationships. That wouldn't be too bad if the bachelors were at least open to the idea of having girlfriends. It wouldn't be too bad if some fellow actually wanted me for a change. We go on a couple dates and they say, "I don't want to hurt you but I don't want a girlfriend." Add a couple words and they might as well say, "I don't want to sound like an ass, but I just don't want you. We can still hang out, right?" It's almost enough to force me to delete every bachelor's number from my phone, change my number, and not look back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if he saw me; my car is a flashy cherry red, and a model that isn't too common (at least, not common enough for me to be seeing them everywhere) even though it is an economy model.

I'd almost rather he was oblivious.

3 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I heard a story about a vacuum salesman who sold one vacuum for every 30 cold calls. Each day he would get up and start knocking on doors. Rather than getting discouraged with homeowners who turned down his sales pitch, he said thanks and smiled and moved along to the next house. His theory was that their rejection got him one step closer to a sale.

Maybe dating is like that. Maybe you need to smile, thank your dates and move along knowing that it gets you one step closer to the person you are meant to meet.

don said...

It's true, you shouldn't look back so much. It's good to remember and learn, but you need to focus on where you want to be and not lament about where you were. Just remember that everything good that is going to happen to you is in your future. So keep looking forward to that.

Diane Lowe said...

Thank you for your support and kind thoughts.

So I guess here's what I think:

It's really, really hard to keep smiling when you can't even find one person who is not only willing to buy the vacuum but can also afford one, even after moving to a different neighborhood.

Focusing on what I want, and where I want to be, also shows that I don't have those things, that I'm not there yet. And that's really disheartening to me.

I feel like my entire life is going great, but that one little thing would really be the icing on the cake. And the cake is just not the same without pretty icing.