Friday, January 04, 2008

Plan of Attack

I now declare war on my messy apartment!

Since my apartment is non-sentient, I will post my plan of attack here. Any comments on strategy would be most helpful.

While I think the living room and the bedroom would be easiest to tidy up, I could get bogged down in hours of "hmm, should I *really* throw this away?" If I tackle these rooms after I get warmed up, I will not lose my cleaning momentum!

I believe it would be best to attack the bathroom or the kitchen first. Therein lies the real mess! I think the kitchen might know I'm coming though. A few days ago I took a spray bottle of Red Juice to the stovetop and the microwave. I pulled all the burners and cleaned the driptrays and gook underneath too! The fridge with its freezer full of "my God, I planned to *eat* this?!" mystery food knows I'm out for it next.

After those areas are done, I plan to tackle the cluttered dining room, thereby flanking the living room and ending in the bedroom, where mountains of clean and dirty laundry reside.

Phase two involves folding the clean clothes and putting them away, cleaning the dirty clothes and also putting them away, and vacuuming the carpet.

I expect the war to be over in two days, declare victory, and spend the next week mopping up insurgents. "Shock and awe", indeed. "Shock and awe" my dinner guest next week!

And this is what a single girl does on the first weekend of the new year.

For those who also want to improve their living conditions, I highly recommend The Clean Team's series of cleaning books. I read their books years ago (and obviously did not follow their advice) and when I could afford it bought most of the tools they recommended. I like their basic cleaning solutions and I like the concept of cotton cleaning towels (even before I moved to California!). And you all thought I wasn't green! ;)

No comments: