Sunday, January 20, 2008

Book Review - If Love is a Game, These are the Rules

Most self-help books aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Most of them are filled with some of the most unloving language possible, blaming the other sex for your relationship problems, immature coping techniques, etc. Most I think create more drama than they resolve.

I'm most probably not the most emotionally mature 24 year old on the planet, and the past month has certainly not been a good one for me in terms of maturity. However, at least I see that flaw on me and I know it's something I can work on.

I first read major portions of If Love is a Game, These are the Rules in Barnes and Noble about a year ago. This book is without a doubt the most honest, truly open book on fixing ourselves and by extension our relationships. How do we authentically get the love we truly want and deserve? How do we build a sense of our own self-worth? How do we maintain love once we've found it? This book will teach you that and more.

It's worth more than its weight in gold-pressed latinum. Worth much more than all the other books on who wants who, who's right, who's wrong, who needs to change to make you happy. Go out and get it. Even if you're in a solid relationship, the insights in this book are invaluable.

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

Every time I hear about self-help books, I think of Billy Bob Thorton in School for Scoundrels. I doubt that this movie would make it to your movie list Diane (you have much better taste in movies than I do), but if you're feeling pissed off at the world it might make you laugh, or maybe it will make you feel justified in being pissed off.

Diane Lowe said...

WP - Hey! I watch bad movies too! I only blog about the good ones! :)

Some days I feel pissed off at the world, those days are truly strange. I want to laugh and/or cry and/or feel even more angry at my situation!

But yes. Self-Help is (for the most part) an exercise in digesting horse manure.