Saturday, January 05, 2008

Restaurant Review - Catalina Coffee Company

I actually have only been here once, but I think this is an interesting enough little place to check out if you're near the Pier.

They roast their beans on-site (the only place in South Bay that I've found to do this!), so the coffee should be most spectacular. They have cozy places to sit, a fairly extensive mystery library (although no Chandler, by my first glance) and internet access (but what cafe *doesn't*?).

I actually had a mug of tea and a sandwich when I was there (if I had known about the on-site bean roasting beforehand, I would have gotten coffee). Their staff is patient and friendly. The tea was good (can't remember now if it was looseleaf or not) and the sandwich was made-to-order and yummy.

One of the most impressive things I saw at this coffee house was a mega-sized chessboard!

So take one of these rainy evenings, grab a friend and head over here for decent coffee and a game of chess. Or forget the friend and bring a dog-eared copy of your favorite Chandler book to supplement their lacking library. (You wanted to get that nice hardcover set from Everyman, anyway)

Bonus: these guys have their own parking lot. Take advantage of the free parking!

Catalina Coffee Company

126 North Catalina Ave.
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 318-2499

No comments: