Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke Dies

Arthur C. Clarke, 90, Science Fiction Writer, Dies

I remember reading "2001: A Space Odyssey", as well as "2010" and part of "2060" (I think I stopped when Jupiter ended up being a huge diamond in the center of the gassy soup that makes up the atmosphere - at least that's where my recollection of his writing ends)

I think science fiction (especially good science fiction) is in some ways more important than other genres of literature/entertainment. It's a medium that allows us to explore what might be (especially technology, but also society in general), for better or for worse.

4 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I feel that Science Fiction is to literature what Country Music is to music. I don't typically look to this genre for enjoyment though I have read and enjoyed books that I was later surprised to learn were described as Science Fiction. I guess as long as it's not too "science fictiony" I'm cool with it.

I do admire the creative energy behind the books though; what imagination!

don said...

2001 (the movie) is one of my favorite movies even though I don't have it listed.

Diane Lowe said...

I tend to group anything that has to do with "the future" as science fiction.

I would consider "I Am Legend" (in both book and movie form) science fiction . . . . .

I enjoyed 2001 (the movie). For some reason I really enjoy watching the scene when Dave is shutting down HAL. We all need to take a stress pill and think things over.

don said...

It is a great film. We used to have an artist who worked here named Dave and I had to check over his work before it went to press. When he made a mistake I'd say. "What are you doing Dave,.."