Monday, March 31, 2008

Spencer Day at the Hotel Cafe

Last night Spencer Day debuted at the Hotel Cafe. For some reason I thought the Hotel Cafe was in downtown, but I was wrong; it's in Hollywood.

Even living in LA, Hollywood still feels like a strange, foreign city to me, full of nightclubs, bars, and tourist attractions. But I digress.

Spencer found me on MySpace a couple months ago and sent me a nice note. Most of the musician "friend" requests are fairly impersonal, but I felt that Mr. Day looked at my profile and (correctly) judged that I might be interested in his music, then sent a note to say so. Classy.

His original songs are full of witty lyrics, great syncopation and wonderful piano playing. His genre is somewhere in that weird realm of lounge/jazz/pop standard flavor of music, similar to Michael Buble but more original. I definitely will be going to Mr. Day's shows in LA in the future.

Here's how not to hit on a girl: Approach her from behind and touch her arm with a cold beer she doesn't want during the last song of the gig she's clearly interested in watching, then proceed to talk to her while she's (unsuccessfully) ignoring you. Bonus jerk points for being dirty, smelling like you've had a pack too many smokes, and telling the girl you live upstairs.

No comments: