Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Dinner Tonight - Salmon Patties

I found a recipe that used stuff I had at home so I wouldn't have to go shopping for food tonight. Loosely follows Rachel Ray's Salmon Cakes Salad.

2 6-oz cans of boneless, skinless salmon
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
3-4 TB chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (was a happy accident - I put about this much in and they turned out great)

Combine all. Make patties (I ended up with 7 small palm-sized patties. Heat up a frying pan, add a bit of oil, cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. I didn't trust that the centers were cooked through so I put them in an oven at 350 for 10 minutes.

I ate these with steamed frozen vegetables, and will probably repeat this meal for lunch tomorrow.

3 comments:

don said...

It sounds good. Was it rich in a fishy way? My mom used to make a salmon pattie that was really difficult for me to eat, so it's still kind of hard for me to warm up to the idea now.

The Wordpecker said...

Sounds yummy! How many spices do you have in your kitchen Diane?

Diane Lowe said...

Don, I thought it was fairly rich, but it didn't seem "fishy" to me. LOL If fish seems "fishy", there's something wrong with it! :)

I say try the recipe (or even half it) and if you end up not liking it, you're only out one small can of salmon and you know that it's not for you.

Wordpecker, it *was* super yummy! I have a lot of spices in my kitchen, but I don't use them all the time! Definitely the most useful to me are salt, pepper (freshly ground), garlic powder and paprika. What ends up happening is that I'll want to make a new dish that requires a spice that I don't have, and then I'm stuck with trying to figure out what to do with it! For example, try a little cardamom (or cinnamon) in your waffles or pancakes. It's delicious. I have no idea what else I'll use cardamom for, though.