Sunday, March 02, 2008

Taiwan - February 3

Today there was a Japanese taiko drum demonstration at the grocery store near my grandmother's. It's similar to the group that was in the Japanese car commercial. It was very cool to see live and they attracted a huge audience.
I also tried sun cakes for the first time - they're a perfect accompaniment with tea. They're a rich, flaky pastry with a slightly sweet, honey filling. Sun cakes are Taichung's specialty pastry and you can't get them anywhere else. Or maybe you can, but it's kind of cool to try food in it's place of origin. If you're not careful when you eat them, you will get flaky pastry everywhere!Tonight I went to play badminton with my cousin and his friends. Afterward we went out to eat fried food and drink ginger milk tea. Fried food is bad for you in any country, but I've never seen a place where you get to pick out the food you want to eat like in the prepared food stalls in the markets. I think I was very fortunate that my cousin invited me to do a lot of stuff with him and his wife. I probably could have gone touristing on my own, and left my parents to hang out at my grandmother's house, but it would have been very rude and my cousin was astute enough to know I needed to spend time away from them and hang out with people closer to my own age every once in a while.
One of my favorite dishes from the food stalls here is sweet potato fries dusted with a pickled plum powder. I can't find it here, so I have to beg my mom to look for it in Taiwan before she comes back or find a way to make my own pickled plum powder.

5 comments:

don said...

Yum! That's a pretty tea cup too.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don!

My aunt has a whole set of pretty tea cups!

I went to a store in Taiwan similar to "Bed Bath & Beyond" here. . . they had lots of pretty tea cup sets with saucers. Dainty stuff. I ended up buying a duvet cover set (included a sheet and pillow cases) - it was a crazy buy since I don't even have a duvet to cover, but it was this gorgeous lavender color and it had this nice 3" wide lace around the edge.

My female justification was that I don't see myself having to submit to another person's opinion in the bedroom until I'm forced to share my bed (and the covers!) anytime soon so I should be able to decorate my bedroom however I want to!

I found an alternative down comforter at CostCo for $50 so I think I'm going to check the size of the duvet cover and go back there to get it.

don said...

I spent a lot of time on a potters wheel. Far too much time actually. You think of me as a redneck, but I can actually throw pots.

Diane Lowe said...

Haha, I'm going to say I have no idea where that came from . . . .

But I took ceramics in high school. I could throw pots competently, but I wasn't the best at it.

It's one of the hobbies I wish I had the time, money, and energy to get back into.

don said...

I tend to notice ceramics after doing so much of it. One of my instructors could sit and throw an entire set of dishes in a short period of time, tea cups and all. I realize that the cup in the photo is most likely cast and not thrown.