Friday, December 09, 2005

The Decadent Turn of the Screw

I actually have an idea why the procrastination regarding my Decadence paper has extended to extreme limits. I think, somewhere in the semester, between "Torture Garden" and "Monsieur de Phocas", I lost my taste for reading the stuff. I blame most of this on "Torture Garden", not necessarily because it is a bad book, but because it was much too graphic for me to read, and I read it anyway. And there was definitely no way I was going to read "The Damned", because as fascinating as some guy obessessed with the Black Mass is, I don't think that's what I should be pouring into my head.

Now I'm scarred for life. If you don't have a taste for reading descriptions of post-tortured people, if you don't like reading a torturer's lament on his "lost art", please don't run out and pick up a copy of the book today. You can have mine. Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Diane. I must admit, after the Torture Garden, I would have to throughly agree.