Friday, December 30, 2005

It Is Done, and Some Gripes

So the hair got permed today. I had a nice student hairdresser at the local hairstyling college, and they were playing Johnny Cash in the salon so it was a fairly pleasant experience considering I was sitting with my hair soaked in chemicals, the smell of which follows you around for the next three days.

Mom is very happy with the result, and is insistant that my boyfriend will be as delighted with my now-curly hair. So if two people are happy with it, I can't complain. I haven't decided if I like the curls or not. At the very least, they'll make getting ready in the morning that much faster; just throw in some curl-defining stuff, toss the curls around and go.

I do think the curls make my face look softer and more feminine, which might make it easier for the idiots in Utah who tend to find it ambiguous in determining my gender. I blame this on me not fitting the cookie-cutter Utah women are "supposed" to be molded from more than anything else.

Anyway, sidestepping the issues I have with the theocratic state and its devout citizens, the news here sucks. I'd much rather read, on FoxNews.com, about a kid who singlehandedly went to Iraq for the holidays as an experiment in imbedded journalism (because that's actually kind of cool he survived) rather than watch the news here. As "top" stories, I've watched packages on:
  • a followup to some boy scout getting stabbed in the head with his scoutmaster's knife (this wasn't even news, as the kid was completely healed and all they had in the package was how he got stabbed with the Leatherman)
  • a followup to a Utah State van crash where some students died five months ago. Not really any news here either, just an interview of a survivor disputing the forensic evidence on seatbelt use.
  • The 200th anniversary of Joe Smith's birth. I won't even touch this one.
  • A dog ran 100 "show" sheep onto some train tracks, where they were slaughtered by a train. The dog (of course) was shot. Don't get me started with this one either.
  • Mischevious teens deflating those huge Christmas decorations. This, I think, actually qualifies as news, even though I doubt I would ever see a similar package from KXLF.
Et cetera, et cetera. I won't mention how they used two very similar-looking anchors the other night that seemed reminiscent of The Stepford Wives. Because of the quality newscasting I've seen here (the "Fresh Air" Forecast is borderline silly), I've given up getting my news from the local station.
Arg. I want to go home.

1 comment:

Abhishek Upadhyay said...

That was good. Specially news of Dog was amusing.
Why dont you post your pic with your new hair style.