Thursday, March 15, 2007

Chinese Final

I took my final in Chinese XL 1 tonight. That means I can sleep for a couple weeks before class starts up again, right?

Taking this class has been a great experience for me. I made some great new friends, although I don't communicate with them as much as I'd like. I've also learned some serious time management skills.

What can I say in Chinese? I can ask for your honourable surname, what name you go by, what your occupation is, where do you work, etc. I can mention a few hobbies, and say some simple past-tense things. I can negate what I can say. I can ask for something to eat and drink, or offer something to eat or drink to company.

I ask the time, and say the time. I can figure out dates, too. I can ask how old someone is.

What's most funny to me is that most questions asked in class are related to dating. How do I ask someone out in Chinese? What is a girlfriend called, and how is this different from a man's ai ren (爱人).

I can write most of what I can say. I can read or infer a little more than what I can write or say. Some characters I know what they translate to in English, but not how to say them in Chinese.

No comments: