Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Running Goals

What is it they say about goals? That they're more likely to happen if you write them down? My goal is to finish the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C. next year.

I'm currently training for the Seal Beach 5K, at the end of this month. I've been using the beginner's schedule in The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running. I like that schedule more than the one in Runner's World Complete Book of Running. Both books cover similar information, but I can't imagine keeping one book in favor of the other. There are some things that are covered better in the Complete Idiot's Guide than in the Runner's World book, and vice versa. Runner's World also published their Complete Book of Women's Running. I don't think I'll get that one, although it probably would be more relevant to me than the other two books.

I've been training on the treadmill, but once I can run a 5K I'm going to start hitting the roads and trails. It's hard to run continually outside when you don't have much of a base to start with.

I think that forcing myself to compete in "fun runs" will help me meet other runners, and will help me make small, short-term running goals that will in turn help me accomplish the big one.

I think it will, in the long run, encourage me to eat better and take better care of myself. Not to mention lose a few extra pounds and gain some muscle definition!

3 comments:

don said...

Go for it! I know you can reach your goals. You look great already.

The Wordpecker said...

You go girl! If you decide you need more than books, consider joining a running group. I had no idea how much there was to learn about running...starting with the right pair of shoes.

Running makes me feel powerful and free at the same time. I can hardly wait for the weather to break so I can hit the roads again.

Looking forward to reading about your progress.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks for the support!

I have thought about joining a running group, but I need to block out a consistent time for that first. With class, work, and bookclub I'm afraid of overloading myself.

I did learn the "right pair of shoes" concept early in my running career. I used to get terrible shin splints, but with the right shoes running is a breeze.

I especially enjoy the feeling of relaxation the night after a run.