Tuesday, March 27, 2007

New Running Duds

It's been quite a while since I've bought new running gear. I usually run in the same promotional USMC t-shirt (I feel 'empowered' when I wear it) and black shorts. The black shorts are getting kind of ratty and I'm starting to feel it's time to put away the USMC shirt. Its' purpose in my life is nearing its' end. Two years is long enough to mourn of what-could-have-been, yes? Especially when what-is turned out to be so much sweeter.

New Balance makes skirts to run in (and play tennis in). I've been wanting one of these since I read about them in Runner's World (the article is old, second page, second selection). I splurged on myself and ordered a Bonita Run Skirt last week.

Basically, it's a pair of compression shorts underneath a skirt made of the same material. It's definitely flirty and feminine. The skirt's v-cut at the waist definitely makes it more comfortable than a pair of shorts, but it also shifts while running and I think it needs a more secure waistband. (Or maybe I'm funny shaped - I tend to be between sizes) I like the ventilating aspects of its design, although the compression shorts don't wick moisture away as quickly as I'd like.

I also purchased one of those new 'performance tops'. The one I bought wicks moisture away fairly well, but the material is thin and you can see lines from my sports bra (I'm sure even not even the UnderArmor sports bra I have will remedy that). The fit is comfy, too, although I felt it has a tendancy to swish to the sides during a run.

I did get a new pair of shorts (they were on sale, and green). I haven't tried running in them yet, although I suspect they will be very similar to the shorts I already have. The advertisement "stuff" attached to the price tag expounded the virtues of a "rolldown" waistband (the shorts have a cute pattern on the lining). I've never understood the idea behind rolling a waistband down. They don't become more secure, and they flip up more often than not. If you wanted a low-cut pair of shorts, I'm fairly certain they make them.

No comments: