Monday, March 12, 2007

"Grignak" Climbing

(For those of you who don't know what a grignak is, it's a reference from Galaxy Quest)

So this is me doing my best to rock climb at Rockreation in West L.A. last week. It was supposed to be a work-related "team building" event, but only three of us (plus the big boss, and my manager) showed up. The particular climb that I'm working on in the photo was the most difficult we tried; only the big boss could make it up. The guys (I was the only female to participate in our team building - the other girl in the photo works for Rockreation and was helping us out) let me go first on all the climbs, so either they wanted tips on how to do it (if I succeeded), or they wanted to avoid what I did wrong (if I failed)! Just kidding, they were just being gentlemen (I hope!).

I think rock climbing would be a great hobby to get into - it has a mental component as well as the obvious physical aspect, and the knot-tying and rock-climbing are essential "cool" skills to have (like piloting small aircraft). The unfortunate part is that, like all cool hobbies, rock climbing can get very expensive, and to do it safely it would be best to have a partner you can trust. Self-belaying is possible, but I'd like to think it is an "advanced" technique that I'm not quite ready to conquer just yet.

2 comments:

don said...

That's awesome! That had to be really exciting.

Diane Lowe said...

It was! I had a lot of fun!