Friday, March 09, 2007

Massages Lost In Translation

I've been getting acupressure massages from the guys at the Galleria Mall, on Artesia and Hawthorne, for a few months now. They're all Chinese, and speak very little English. Over time they've discovered I know a few words of Chinese, and I think they appreciate that I try to communicate with them. That, and I think they appreciate the fact I'm a regular and tip well.

But anyway, I digress. I've managed to form some sort of friendship with one of the fellows, a happy guy named "Li". He's one of the best, and for the locals who are interested, there's a tall, skinny guy who's good and a couple of the gals are good too. The tiny quiet one who doesn't have red hair is good. The one who has red hair is good, but I sense she prefers the quick customer who will give her cash than in building a customer base.

Today when I went to the mall to get a massage, Li started saying a lot of Chinese to me, most of which went completely over my head. I heard "Mei guo ren" ( 美国人/American), so I assumed that he wanted my nationality. I said (in Chinese) something to the effect that I could only speak a little, and that I'm American. He happily said something (which sounded like a lot) to his coworkers, repeating that I only speak a little and something else I didn't understand. He then asked me something I really didn't understand, and before I could say I didn't understand he said, "My Mandarin too much, yes?" I said yes and he said, "Si Shi?" (四十/40), for how long (in minutes) I usually get my massage.

I don't know how much better an acupressure massage is from a regular one, but the good masseuses manage to completely unknot my shoulders, and it lasts for days. But I think I go to get massages more because I want to be touched than I have painful knots in my shoulders (I don't, because I get massages!). I don't touch anyone at all most days. Sometimes a friend will touch my shoulder, or I'll touch a friend's shoulder. Sometimes I'll shake hands with someone. My coffee buddy usually gives me hugs when he drops me off at my building. I don't think I'd do well in solitary confinement.

If you think about it, how many people do you touch in a day? I think on an average day, I don't touch more than five people, and then only casually. I speak to many more.

I don't know why this bothers me so much, not being touched. I recall articles I've read regarding how little Americans touch one another, compared to Europeans and South Americans. I'm sure someone has tried to link obesity/overeating with lack of touch.

After my massage was over, Li told me he liked the hand cream I was using (I had just bought some Aromatherapy Orange Ginger hand cream from Bath & Body Works, and was wearing a sample) and taught me the Chinese word for "lotion" as I taught him the English word. I've already forgotten it (Although "mei" was one of the syllables. But "mei" usually means "pretty", in my experience). Maybe I can consult my mom and she'll know the term. I told Li (in Chinese) that my Dad is American, my Mother is Taiwanese, and that I didn't have a photo with me today. I told him in English I would bring one "next time". He seemed happy and I assume he let everyone in on the news.

3 comments:

don said...

Great post! I know exactly what you mean about not being touched. I know it too well.

I always remember from that western movie, I guess it was the sequel to Rooster Cogburn in which Katharine Hepburn is on the trail camping out with John Wayne, and she is giving him a neck rub. Wayne says with pleasure, while enjoying his neck rub, "The laying on of the hands" Or something like that. I've always thought that was so cool.

Diane Lowe said...

I vaguely remember that scene!

I asked my mom about the Chinese term I couldn't remember, and she doesn't know what it could be either. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful!