Saturday, March 31, 2007

Race Results - Seal Beach 5K

My time: 38:33.

I woke up this morning at 5:30. How I can get up extra early on a Saturday and yet repeatedly hit snooze for work throughout the week (it's getting really bad - 6:30 most mornings) is beyond me.

Since the race was at 8:00, I wanted to eat something or else I would be starving by the time the race was underway. I tried to eat two toaster waffles with peanut butter. (Normally my breakfast is two toaster waffles with strawberry preserves, but I thought the peanut butter would be better today) I got through the first one, and only about half-way through the second one. I hate wasting food, but I also hate coaxing myself to eat something that my body obviously doesn't feel like eating.

I wanted to get there early to be sure to get parking. Parking is bad in Seal Beach most days, on a day like today it would be notoriously difficult to find a spot.

My goals today were to:
1) Finish
2) Run the Whole Way
3) If 2, then do it in 36 minutes or less
4) If not 2, then do it in 40 minutes or less

I finished, but I had to run/walk (mostly walking) the middle of the race. Here is the course map. I made it all the way to just after the turn onto Electric Ave., and I puttered out. I'm definitely not used to running on asphalt. I started running again near the Community Center and had a pretty good kick at the end.

It's an interesting feeling, the kick. You're tired, and begging for a little more speed from your body. You're legs and feet don't want to move any more. There's sweat on your brow. People are lined on the sidelines to watch you finish, encouraging everyone to run a little harder, a little faster.

Your body picks up and you feel your form become super efficient; you're not shuffling along anymore. Now it's harder to slow down and stop than it is to keep going. Just a little further. Then you cross the finish line and come to a sudden stop, because finishers get pushed into corrals and give up the ID slips on their numbered "bibs".

I'm very excited about training outdoors now. I want to run another 5K soon, and hopefully run the whole way. It would be awesome if I can get my time down to under 35 minutes.

You also know what I need to get? One of those pouches that attach to your shoe that you can put your keys in. It wasn't fun running with my keys tied to my laces.

5 comments:

don said...

Now you will be that much stronger. I always feel really strong the week after I do a bike tour and what used to be a difficult workout becomes easy and you have to ramp it up.

Good for you Diane!

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don!

My leg is still a little tender from (what I'll guess was) overtraining last week.

But I feel much more confidant about running on concrete/asphalt and I'm excited to start training again. I was able to pick up a bunch of flyers for 5Ks in the next couple of months.

Another thing I saw yesterday was a guy running the race barefoot. Wow. That's hardcore.

don said...

If I were you, I'd back it down a little and let your leg fully recover.

I've seen people run with no shoes on. Don't understand it. But it is kind of pure in a way. Perhaps on soft grass.

Diane Lowe said...

Running barefoot on soft grass would be nice. I guess if you didn't have pronation problems running barefoot would be good. Asphalt and concrete get warm, however. Maybe it would be incentive to run faster.

I'm definitely going to take it easy the next few days. Probably go on some easy walks outside this week so I don't "lose" much. The leg doesn't hurt all the time, but I definitely don't want it to turn into a season-ending injury. It's on the same side I rolled my ankle on at OCS prep, so I think that may have something to do with it, even though that is an ancient injury.

The Wordpecker said...

Congratulations on finishing your 5k run!