Monday, May 21, 2007

Of Sailing Ships and Sealing Wax

Stages of Cutty Sark Grief

I'm rather fond of old sailing ships. I remember going to San Diego Bay when my cousin graduated from MCRD and seeing the Star of India. I didn't actually go on the vessel, but I live close enough to San Diego now that it's not a stretch to do some touristing there. The USS Midway is there too, as is HMS Surprise (which is a reproduction, not an actual vintage ship).

I've never sailed, although I'd like to go sailing one of these days. My sweetheart knows a professor who has a sailboat that he takes out to Catalina every now and then.

Thank goodness the Brits were restoring the Cutty Sark when she went up in flames. She had been partially dismantled, and the ship can be restored.

3 comments:

don said...

How sad.

Diane Lowe said...

I know. :'(

At least they can salvage it though!

don said...

I wonder if they had the spars off of it? Getting timbers that big could be a problem these days.

I'll be sailing soon.