Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Josh Groban at the Honda Center

I saw Josh Groban at the Honda Center Saturday night. It was a good show, although I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Michael Buble concert. The OC Register reviewed both the Josh Groban and the Michael Buble show.

I think the problem I have with Josh Groban isn't something that Josh Groban can solve. I have a strong adversion for anything I feel is overly popular or substance lacking (if you go to Disneyland, you will feel what I mean). Or maybe I have a hard time with soft, romantic music that doesn't really convince me the singer is any more than a voice. Maybe that's it. I'm not attracted to soft, sappy, romantic types (although I myself am fairly sappy), or their accompanying music. I'm still in my "self-described bad ass" stage.

Regardless, the concert was enjoyable. He's developing a very eclectic style that I'm not sure I really like, although I can see his appeal to others. I think my favorite song he sang from the concert was "In Her Eyes", during which he wandered throughout the crowd. Other songs I enjoyed from the concert were: Aléjate, Un Dia Llegara, You Are Loved (Don't Give Up), You Raise Me Up, and Remember When It Rained.

Is it awful that my favorite performance from the concert was when violinist Lucia Micarelli led the band in a classically-infused cover of Led Zepplin's Kashmir? I also thought cellist Colette Alexander was fantastic.

No comments: